Saturday, September 3, 2011

Accounting Cover Letter - How Templates Keep You Jobless

Accounting Cover Letter - How Templates Keep You Jobless I had no idea my accounting cover letter was keeping me from landing a job. I didn't see it that way at first but the longer it took the more I felt it was me and not the job market, like I had told myself. A good friend of mine and I both were looking for employment and she had already found a place to work for and I was still in the hunt.She asked me about my resume and the letter I was using to present it. I told her I found a good template online and I was using that one. She mentioned reading that it wasn't a good idea to use those and should consider changing it. She also told me about using them herself to get started right away on the job search. I know, I told myself the same thing. I'll change it next time. I'm short on time today. Nobody will notice.BINGO! NOBODY WILL NOTICE!That's exactly the problem with accounting cover letter templates. You want to stand out and be the obvious choice for the interviewer. You can't make it to the interview if they don't notice you. Standing out takes more creativity. The templates are good if you don't mind looking for a job longer than you should have too.Keep in mind that employers have probably seen tons of them already. Perhaps right before they looked at yours! Which candidate would you call? The one that stands out and fits the part or the one that didn't even write a custom letter! If your accounting cover letter template is simply an introduction, get your pen and paper and start on it right now.Accounting cover letter templates introduce your resume. A custom letter paints a picture of how you are the obvious choice for the job description they give you. You see if they give you a description of what the hire will be doing. They've given you all you need to use on your letter to be at the top of the list. Paint a picture of how you can execute those tasks they've already told you, will be expected. If you have experience point it out on cover letter with bullets to make it easy to read.Of course this means you'll have to create a custom accounting cover letter for each individual company you apply too and I'll tell you, it's a small price to pay for a shorter job hunting period.

No comments:

Post a Comment